The authenticity of genres like progressive rock, psychedelic, art rock and blues rock were taken to another level by the band pink Floyd. Originating from London this band changed the history of music with the philosophical lyrics and psychedelic music. Known to be the most successful commercial band, Pink Floyd has been a mentor to many ever since.
”There is no other day… Let’s try it another way…You’ll lose your mind and play…Free games for May”
How did they become the world dominating rock stars?
The band was founded by architecture students Nick Mason and Roger Waters, a year later Richard Wright a fellow architect joined the band, that had many in and out members not to forget the irresolute change in band name. In 1964 Syd Barret joined the band as a guitarist replacement and the band named Pink Floyd came into being in the late 1965. You might be wondering why the name PINK FLOYD? The name was inspired by two singers pink Anderson and Floyd council. One of the university lecturers, Peter Jenner was impressed with the band and stepped into the music industry with his partner Andrew King. Later in 1966 Jenner and Andrew joined with Blackhill enterprises to become equal partners. David Gilmour – In 1967 Gilmour joined the band.
”Where were you when I was burned and broken…While the days slipped by from my window watching…Where were you when I was hurt and I was helpless”
- Nick Mason – Drummer
- Roger Waters – Guitarist (bass)
- Richard Wright – Keyboardist
- Syd Barret – Guitarist, singer and songwriter
- David Gilmour – Drummer
- Bob klose – Lead guitarist
Some elements from their albums that point out logical theories:
- The cover of the album, Wish you were here includes four sides, represented the four elements of the planet i.e. earth, air, fire and water.
- The dark side of the moon, cover has a prism with a beam of white light passing from one side and on the other side; there is a refracted beam of colours. Here the white light represents unity, the prism represents the society and the refracted beam of colours illustrates the absence of unity.
- In the album Animals, the farm animals represent the various classes in the society. The aggressive dogs, the mindless herd of sheep and the ruthless pigs.
“We don’t need no education…We don’t need no thought control….All in all it’s just another brick in the wall… All in all you’re just another brick in the wall”
Some astonishing facts about the band:
- Nick mason’s vocals appears only in one song in the entire Pink Floyd catalog, which is just a line of one of these days, meddle.
- The third best selling record, The dark side of the moon has sold enough records that one out of twelve people in the world owns it.
- They have topped the billboards top 100 singles only once, with Another brick in the wall.
- David Gilmour owns a custom made studio inside a houseboat, where the last two studio records were recorded.
- The name of the pig from the album Animal is algie and the cow from the cover of atom heart mother is Lulubelle III.
- Before Syd Barret and David Gilmour, Bob klose was the guitarist for the band who later took career in photography.
- That little bit of gibberish before the lyrics starts, in another brick in the wall is a backward dialogue which says “congratulations”.
Albums composed by pink Floyd:
- The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)
- A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
- More (1969)
- Ummagumma (1969)
- Atom Heart Mother (1970)
- Meddle (1971)
- Obscured by Clouds (1972)
- The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
- Wish You Were Here (1975)
- Animals (1977)
- The Wall (1979)
- The Final Cut (1983)
- A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
- The Division Bell (1994)
- The Endless River (2014)