The recent spike of growing violence against women has triggered the police department to fasten the security measures. But that alone will not help us if we are not willing to keep ourselves safe with basic good sense. The best way to avoid being robbed, physically assaulted, or worse, is to be alert, be smart and avoid getting yourself into dangerous situations.
Gone are the times when women could roam free in the streets — no matter the time of day or night. This doesn’t suggest that you have to give up on your night life. But when your safety is in your own hands, you need to educate yourself on some basic safety measures to steer clear of bad situations before they arise. Criminals have the nerve to hassle people even in broad-day light it seems; and they often get away with it.
Below are tips to stay safe so you can have fun:
- Always make sure you’re in a group when you go out to a party. If a guy tries to become too friendly, keep him at an arm’s length.
- Never disclose your personal details like home address or telephone number to a stranger. It might be a trap to track you down and prey on you.
- Ideally, you should avoid accepting a drink from a stranger, especially if you didn’t see the bartender put it. No one wants to be roofied.
- While you’re at the elevator, always keeps a check on the guy standing beside you; inside defer any friendly advances so he doesn’t think you’re available.
- Make sure you know all the exits of the pub or nightclub, so you can move quickly if necessary.
- Don’t park your car in the dark corners of the parking zone.
- Don’t go out alone with strangers to drink.
- Refrain from accepting someone getting a cab for you; predetors at times partner with cab drivers.
- Keep friends, police and help lines on speed dial for quick contact if you get into trouble or for during an emergeency.
- Dress modestly.
- Don’t get so drunk that you fall over, this attracts all the wrong types of men.